Sunday, February 2, 2020

Inside the Epicenter: the Lone Reporter



LATEST UPDATES: February 7th, after being missing for two days. Chen Qiushi’s parents were told that their son had been “quarantined” at an undisclosed location. Another civilian reporter Fan Bing has also been detained. Please pray for their health and safe return!

This video published on January 30th has generated over 1.9 million viewers so far. His name is Chen QiuShi. He was born in 1985. He was working as a lawyer between 2015-2019. In recent years, he competed in a reality show and became famous as a brilliant public speaker. He has a social media channel that talks about politics, law, equality and share ideologies that can be controversial at times. He lives in Beijing. After the Wuhan’s quarantine, he was probably the only person who went into the epicenter as a journalist. Here is what he shares in this viral video. He inserted a few footage that he shot. I have marked down their time spots.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone, my name is Chen QiuShi. It’s 11am on January 30th. Today’s video is a bit long, thank you for understanding. My previous videos were 5 minutes long max, that’s because my intended audiences were people in China. I did not give much thought for people in abroad. Five minutes are the max length that people in China can share their videos conveniently via Wechat. But now everything published by me have been deleted, when people share my videos on social media, their accounts are also deleted. One of my Wechat accounts are blocked and I lost many people's contacts. . . Therefore, this video is more for people outside of China. After I have gone through so much in Wuhan, let me talk about what I saw these days. One thing to keep in mind, I’d only share what I see with my own eyes and what I hear with my own ears. I don’t talk about or use videos or pictures circulated by others online.

I have been here for 6 days. I have been to Wuhan’s hospitals, the construction site, the local supermarket and even the notorious Huanan Seafood Market. On Jan 29th, I went to Wuhan’s #5 hospital where allegedly many health care professionals were infected with the virus. I was unable to ask or interview any doctors to confirm this allegation. Every health care professional were extremely busy and tired. They were told to reject every request for interview; allegedly they had to surrender their cellphones.

The Lack of Supplies 
A few non-government organizations had reached out to me. They have been giving rides to health care professionals to work, others help unload supplies and deliver them to various hospitals (public transportation and regular delivery services are at a halt right now). I joined their Wechat group and I could testify that these volunteers were really exhausted. Chinese people no longer trust China’s Red Cross organization (due to a corruption scandal a few years ago). Most of the packages are small packages that people sent directly to the hospital. There are so many small packages of masks, gloves, protection gears, etc. Volunteers have to open up those packages one after another, put them into categories, inspect their quality, figure out if they were the acceptable types, etc. It was extremely tedious. The best case scenario would be having all of those life-saving supplies sent from a certified source in bulk. During one occasion, policemen were asking the volunteers for supplies, because they don’t even have anything! How is it that the government is asking non-government organizations for supplies?! Anyway, it’s a mess.

The Construction Site for New Hospitals 
I also went to the construction site where they are building two new hospitals with more than 2000 beds. (The goal is to finish them by Feb 5. As of today, it’s ready to open.) The construction runs 24/7. The construction workers are extremely exhausted, but they are still able to get a break in between shifts. The supervisors, however, have no time to rest. I talked to one of the supervisors, his eyes were red and his voice was hoarse. He said that he had not been home for 3 days, and he could only sleep 2-3 hours a day. Workers said that they are local Wuhan residents. They are willing to give up their life for the city. That’s one phrase I don’t fking understand, why should they expect to sacrifice everything? (The worker force shortage is due to the fact that many labors from neighboring towns and villages have left the city before the Lunar New Year.)

Many people asked a stupid question: why can’t we turn hotels into hospitals? Hospitals for contagious disease have a strict building code. They have three zones: red, yellow, and green. People are placed into different zones depending on the severity of their condition. Hotels are not equipped for people who have been confirmed. They can only be used to quarantine people.  In a special hospital like this, even the air inside the hospital cannot leak out. The air pressure outside should be lower than the air pressure inside. Air can come in, but it cannot get out. The plumbing system is also built to ensure that nothing contaminating will pollute the water source. I am really worried that a construction project with such complexity can be done well within such short period of time.

Transportation System is Completely Down
Yesterday, I went to Wuhan’s #5 hospital. There weren’t that many people seeking treatment like previous days. There are a few reasons as to why the number of people seeking treatment has dropped: 1) most people are under quarantined. Many neighborhoods have locked their front gate. 2) the public transportation system has been shut down. People don’t have the means to get to a hospital. 3) even if you arrive at the hospital, you are not able to be admitted. Instead you would be exposed with more pathogens.

I joined a Wechat group consisting of taxi drivers. Taxi drivers are always the first group of people who are informed about things happening in the city. They talk to lots of people every day at work. In mid-December, they had already heard that there is an outbreak that’s similar to SARS. They warned one another not to go to Huanan Seafood Market. I don’t think Huanan Seafood Market was the origin of this outbreak. (In fact, Patient zero had not been to that seafood market and 17 out of the first group of infected patients had not been to that market). I don’t know where the virus came from, but it definitely spread exponentially from Huanan Seafood Market.

Taxi drivers told me that there are more than 20,000 taxis in the city, in which 6000 of them have been assigned as transportation during the quarantine. There are four cars assigned for every neighborhood/community consisting between 600,000 to 1 million residents. FOUR CARS! They are used to transport goods and people who are in critical condition. Taxi drivers are not given any protective gears, they have to get their own. How? It’s sold out everywhere. To book these cars, people have to call their local community office. It’s impossible to get through the line.

Private vehicles are also grounded. The only means of transportation is bicycle now. A local lend me his electric motorcycle yesterday. I saw many people walking on foot to go to the hospital. Wuhan is a huge city. I feel like it’s even bigger than Beijing. That’s the main reason as to why people can’t get to the hospital. The only means for them is to call 120 (like 911). It’s almost impossible to get through the line.

The Mass Number 
[10:44 showing footage of the hospital]

I went to Wuhan’s #5 hospital yesterday. It was relatively in order. I talked with people lining up for the test kit. I pretended to be one of them. I asked them, “how many days have you shown symptoms? Is this your first visit to the hospital? How many people are sick in your family? ” Some people told me that they have been having a fever for a few days, though they took some over-the-counter medications, the fever doesn’t subside. A triage nurse said to one of them, “you are number 126, there is a test kit available for you today. Go to the second floor…”

[11:23 showing footage of a health care worker being angry toward a colleague. She said that she has been having symptoms of the corona virus for a few days. She is really desperate because she can’t even get a bed right away. ]

[12:59 showing footage of oxygen tanks lining outside and inside the hospital.]

I went to another hospital that was much more chaotic. I accompanied a suspected patient and his brother to find out what it takes to confirm his diagnosis. There were people everywhere. They were lying on the benches. Stretches were placed inside the hallway and even outside of the bathroom. Over 60 people were hooked up to oxygen tank. Some people were sitting in their car while hanging their IV bottom on a tree branch. Most people were receiving IV on the stairs outside of the hospital. It was really cold outside.  The healthy brother said to me, “if it weren’t for my brother, I would never choose to come here. You really shouldn’t be here Chen.” When asking the doctor for a test kit, the doctor said to the ill brother, “we need to assess your condition first. We have to give priority to people who appear to be in more critical condition than you are. We don’t have enough test kits.” Did you hear that? WE DON’T HAVE ENOUGH TEST KITS! Therefore, many people stay home. Though they have been to 5 or 6 hospitals, they couldn’t get a test kit anywhere. Without the test kit, they cannot be confirmed, without a confirmation, they cannot be admitted. Every hospital I went to told me that they ran out of beds. That’s why they are trying to finish building the new hospitals ASAP.  At the end of the day, the two brothers went home empty handed. The doctors and nurses were really kind and empathic to them in spite how exhausted and how uncomfortable working all day being sealed inside their protective gears.

Again, I only talk about what I saw and what I heard. I spoke to another man. He’s in his 40s. He almost cried while telling me, “I am coughing, I have been having fever for a week. My younger brother also has fever, and so is my mother-in-law. The days before the quarantine, I had a meal with my family; I also went to my in-laws’ home for a meal. I played Ma-Jiang with my colleagues. I was in contact with almost 20 people. If I am a confirmed case, what about all of these people? My family is doomed.”

the Only Front Line Reporter
I have been trying to reach other journalists in the city. I tried to contact reporters from a Japanese newspaper. I want to chronicle how they evacuate their citizens. I want to talk to their embassy to find out what they know and how severe the situation is. The fact that each country is evacuating their citizen causes more panic to local people. But, I was not able to make that connection. Now that over 200 Japanese citizens have left the city, it’s important to find out the percentage of infected cases among them. Try to follow up on that!

Before I came, I tried to connect with the only media channel in the city. I tried to learn something from them. I have not been professional trained. I cannot do this with just a cellphone. But I couldn’t get a hold of them. I tried to get in touch with other investigative reporters, but none of them are here. Finally, I heard that there is a HK reporter that lives in the city. After established contact, I asked him to share what he learned with me and how we could exchange information. He told me that he had not gone out for days. His company asked him to stay inside his hotel room. The safety of their employee is their priority. “Chen, you have gone further than any of us.” I connected with a journalist from New York Times.  I was going through his Twitter activity, I saw that he had not reported anything from any emergency departments. No one else goes to ground zero!

[21:00] I now know what it means to be a lone soldier.

[22:33 WARNING GRAPHIC IMAGE showing a deceased person in a wheelchair, his family is holding his body up while calling the funeral home.]

That’s what I saw yesterday. I am a bit scared now. I feel scared. People who went to hospital only because they knew that they had infected the virus. Healthy people avoid going out altogether. I envy the reporters from CCTV (China’s official news channel). They were wearing protective gears from head to toe when interviewing isolated patients in the green zone, they interviewed them via Skype. How risky was that?! I was in the Emergency department. No one knew how many infected patients were in there. I only had a pair of glasses and a mask. I had a coat. I sanitized it every day and hanged it outside of my room. I smell like sanitizer. I am under a lot of pressure right now. I feel like my breathing is a bit heavy right now, a bit of chest pain, not sure if it’s because I was wearing mask 5-6 hours a day. Another signature symptom of the virus is diarrhea. My digestive system was never well before, I often had diarrhea.

Okay, I am going to end here. Again, I will only share what I personally witness: lack of masks, lack of protective garments, lack of supplies and most importantly shortage of test kits. Without using the test kits, people are only suspected patients and they are sent home. But even if there are enough test kits, they still need beds, equipment and doctors.

[25:40] I will try to be strong and resilient. The government official called me and asked me where I am. No one knows where I stay in Wuhan except one person. The government spoke to my parents. My parents said, “I want him home more than you do.”  I have the virus in front of me and I have other troubles behind me. But as long as I am still alive, I will continue to do my report to reveal the truth. I am not afraid of death, why would I be afraid of anything else?!

No comments: